Sign Up To Keep Up To Date on CCM Concerts in the Philippines!

Keep Up To Date on Pinoy CCM Events
Name
Email

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

TobyMac brings party atmosphere

TobyMac brings his Winter Wonderslam Tour to the Denver Coliseum tonight. Joining the hip-hop artist are Relient K, Family Force 5 and B.Reith.

Mac, 44, answered some questions about his performances and his music.

Q: You bring a lot of energy to a show. How do you keep it up?

A: The music we play is energetic, and we feed off of that. My concerts are a big-party atmosphere. I love an intense concert, and if I don't soak two T-shirts I don't feel like it was a good show.

Q: You were just in Denver this past spring. What are you bringing that's different for your fans?

A: We have different acts this time, and we will be a little more focused on the holidays. We'll play songs that we are known for and mix in some Christmas songs. Reliant K just put out a Christmas album, so they will be doing touches of that.

Q: Your music has been picked up by ESPN, the telecast for the 2006 Olympic Games, trailers for movies ("Underdog," "Hancock" to name a few). How does that make you feel?

A: It's different. Obviously, Hollywood is buying into it. The music is relevant. It's happening more and more. . . . I went to the (Tennessee) Titans' Monday-night football game. And I'm sitting way up in the cheap seats with 70,000 people and my song "Boomin' " comes on and the cheerleaders are dancing to it. They played a full chorus. I was like "This is crazy." My face was all red and no one knows.

Q: You co-founded the E.R.A.C.E. Foundation (Eliminating Racism and Creating Equality). How does that work?

A: Our goal is to get people to dialogue about race relations. To come together as one people even though we are all different. We do fundraising for organizations that help foster that ideal. We run into a lot of people who don't see it (discrimination) but if we can begin to communicate we can correct that . . . to come together.

Q: You're a father of five, a husband, own a recording studio. How do you find time to write music?

A: I go to bed early, wake up to take the little guy to school. It's well worth it to me being involved with my family. . . . I'll write some music when we're on tour. . . . I write about my relationships, and my struggles and success with those relationships. And people can relate to them.

Q: Some of your favorite songs?

A: "Made to Love." I'm completely passionate about it. It's really special to me. And "Lose My Soul" seems to resonate with a lot of people.

Q: What bands do you listen to and are influenced by?

A: I love so much music. The Police. Reggae. Bob Marley. I love hip-hop, Black Eyed Peas. I don't agree with some of their philosophies sometimes. I have to go to Wal-Mart and buy the family versions (chuckles). But I love that stuff.

Q: Is it frustrating to be classified as a "Christian" artist?

A: Absolutely, it's frustrating. Sometimes the Christian audience questions your faith when you branch out. But that is so far from the truth. My faith means so much to me. And then some people are turned off by the label. I want my music to fall on open ears. Like U2. U2 just can't be classified because Bono has universal appeal. He is such a great lyricist. I love lyrics.


Christian Music News Source

No comments: